Friday, January 25, 2008

Let’s ‘Live In’


Context- Recent ruling of apex court to give inheritance right for live in partner.

“Late twenty is the perfect age for getting married”, is what senior fellows used to preach. My elders did follow the same philosophy. I was also supposed to hold the same line. My parents have some plans to knot me by the end of the year. I too was getting prepared for the inevitable incident (marriage) but destiny has something else to offer.


A ruling coming out of the apex court was enough to create doubts in my minds about this social institution (i.e. marriage). The judgment has legitimized the unregistered relationship between him and her.


I put some serious thought over the consequences of the proclamation. If I can enjoy all the luxuries what a married couple do than why should I trap myself in the web of the documents? If I can avoid some expenses- which are inevitable in the shows like marriage- why shouldn’t I? Should I waste the all precious hours in a piece of act, when I know there is an alternative? Why should I appease the social setup around me to let my relationship kick off? If there is an arrangement which has a provision to quit without any complicity, why should I stick to the older format? Moreover, it would provide me the luxury of enjoying different fruits in the basket, as the condition of life long sustainability would not be there.


Unfortunately it would hurt Ekta Kapoor (sop maker), as the conflict between in-laws would vanish. It would heart the business of lawyers, as there would be a dip in registration and de-registration of the relationship. Social activists will find it difficult, as the issues of dowry and in-laws discrimination would erode.

Given all these factors let’s create a chaotic social setup where there will be no names for such relationships. Let’s scrap all those ancient philosophies and notions for the sake of modernity. Let’s break the shackles of so called morality to convert into animals, which believe in use and throw. Therefore, let’s “LIVE IN”.
Photo:http:/ www.suncenter.com

No comments: