Friday, May 16, 2008

Let me feel free

“Liquor is a bad thing to use. It is not a great thing to endorse as well.” These are the words frequently preached by our elders in India.

I take these arguments because there was logic to support it. I accepted the logic of its ill effects regarding health and social conduct. Health concerns and my social image kept me un-introduced to alcohol and cigarette for a period of twenty five years of my life. I never tasted an alcoholic drink and any source of smoke in this substantial part of my life despite of the fact that I was away from my parents putting alone at a very young age of 14. I spent almost 12 years out of my parents’ sight. There was nobody to keep vigilance on my activities. The pocket could have easily afforded the expenses.

Frankly I was not aware of any law that prohibits us using alcohol within a certain age limit. If I still could stay clear of these addictions it was due to the health concerns, family values and my social portrait not any regulation.

The term regulation has turned out to be a challenge here in India. Whatever happens we are on the foot to curse rules and regulations. “Regulations should be stringent. New laws should be framed. The laws are not being enforced effectively.” These quotes are very frequent among the people whenever social values are challenged.

Can laws and restrictions settle the social issues exclusively? I am afraid, these can’t. It can be attributed to the simple reason of fundamental human nature. Human being is a born rebellion. Whenever there were efforts to restrict a community or an individual to certain limits, there was a revolt.

The recent incidents in the capital city of India indicate that the lawmakers do not want to accept the realm. There was a debate in the Delhi legislative assembly regarding the minimum age to consume alcoholic drinks. There was a big hue and cry inside and outside the house. Ultimately the existing status of the tax and excise act was kept in tact by maintaining the minimum age to qualify for a peg at the level of 25. These laws are continuously breached deliberately or due to ignorance. There fore such regulations are frivolous.

Similar reactions outraged on the suggestions given by union health minister Ambumani Ramadoss to Amitabh Bachan and Shahrukh Khan regarding on screen drinking and smoking.

Public health is, no doubt, of primary concern but these are definitely not going to tackle the issue. If average drinking age in India is growing young, If India is the biggest producer of liquor in Asia and if the consumption and smuggling of narcotic drugs in India is at its high, it can not be attributed to the effect of movies only. It could be a factor but very-very small.

LAST WORD –

Transformation is the universal doctrine of nature. Therefore society should also adopt the transformation but it should not be created by force. It should come itself.

After a long duration of oppression Indian society started its new life 60 years ago. This is a very small period of time for a society to change. Let the time play its game. There will be a time when society would be mature enough to eradicate the evils of its own